Carnivorous Plants/Drosera capensis, Red

Capensis #1
Capensis #1  

Capensis #2
Capensis #2  
I also had a question about the capensis I received.  This one has confused me. I ordered 2 Drosera spatulatas (which are doing great) along with the capensis, and have grown them all together under the same conditions. I've constantly kept them all in about 2 inches of water, have put them in the best window for several hours of direct and indirect sunlight, and have certainly not kept them in undesirable temperatures.

I've noticed that some of the leaves have turned dark, almost black (in the 2nd photo, the leaf on the right is unmistakable, then there is one in the middle toward the back that you may or may not be able to notice, & the leaf hanging over the edge on the left...the underside is black). What has caused them to turn so dark? Do I leave them as they are? Do I cut them off?

Then just yesterday I noticed that there is a 2nd plant growing right next to the original, which is what I was focusing on in the 1st picture. What accounts for this and does it mean anything?

I realize I've only had this plant for a week, but again, I'm confused as to why it appears as if it's, well, dying, but then there can be a completely new companion plant.  I must be doing something right, but the visuals just aren't matching up to me.  

Thanks Again!

Hi Jake,

Your plants look perfectly normal.  Cape sundews normally cycle through leaves with the bottom ones dying as new ones grow from the center.  We trim the plants before shipping, so you don't see all the dead one, but it's normal to see an older plant with a skirt of dead leaves.

The second plant growing in the pot is a new shoot coming up from the roots.  Cape sundews do this all the time.  Also, we propagate them from root cuttings, so this may have just been a second plant that formed on the same root piece.  They are very prolific both from seed and cuttings.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!