Carnivorous Plants/Drosera spatulata

Spatulata #1
Spatulata #1  

Spatulata #2
Spatulata #2  
Nothing is wrong with my plant.  It has grown not only incredibly well, but much better than I had imagined it would in such a short time.  My question, though, is... Reading through the website and the pamphlet I got with my plants, I remember coming across something that said they will reach adult status in 6-12 months & to wait that long to repot as well.  With the way my plant is growing, with one rosette being pushed upward by the growth underneath, will I need to do this sooner? When I do repot it in the future, is there a need to separate them? Or keep the plant together as one? I guess I'm worried about the possibility of overcrowding or the plant growing in a "wrong" way.  Thank You for your help!

Hi Jake,

The 6-12 month statement is very general, and not directed specifically at Drosera spatulata.  They are very close to full grown.  

You can repot them most anytime being a tropical sundew.  You can separate the cluster, and single plants do tend to get larger.  When you separate, you have to have to very gently tease the roots apart.  D. spatulata tends to not be that delicate in transplanting, but the roots are very fine, and you have to be careful not to pull them off.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!