Carnivorous Plants/Fungus looking things growing with drosera

I have a drosera capensis and it recently grew orange-yellowish, and red looking fungus on the top layer of soil near where the plant is growing from the soil. I have never seen it before, is this even fungus or normal and safe for the plant?

Thank you.

Hi Tri,

This actually isn't fungus, it's mineral deposits from the peat moss.  Most consumer grade peat moss these days is of very low quality and has a high mineral content.  What you should do is top-water the pots daily for a couple of weeks.  This will help flush those minerals out.  It is also beneficial to the plants to help oxygenate the soil.

After that, when you repot plants, it's good to give the peat a soak in low-mineral water and drain and squeeze it off to remove some of the minerals before using it.  You can also order pre-mixed soil from us or another cp dealer.  Most of us use commercial coarse grade peat that is lighter in color, and has a much lower mineral content.  When we switched to this last year we saw a big difference in plants, particularly sundews in the greenhouse that don't get rained on.  Plants outdoors tend to not have a problem with the consumer grade peat since the rain flushes the pots.

Here's information on rinsing peat:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!