Carnivorous Plants/Grower's grade peat moss

Hi, Jeff and Jacob.

Many of my plants should be repotted this next spring and I am concerned about the quality of the peat moss that is currently available. The last bale seems to have a lot of minerals in it.

All the plants are grown outdoors in pools and bottom watered.

I have far too many plants to wash the peat as suggested. It would require a tremendous amount of purified water and I also doubt if my hands/arms would stand the stress.

Do you sell bales of the grower's grade peat moss?

If not, can you direct me to a supplier that will sell it in one or two bale quantities? I would prefer one in Western Oregon, if possible, that allows local pickup but am willing to have it shipped if necessary.

Hi Bill,

We currently don't sell the full bales.  We get ours from OBC Northwest in Canby, Oregon.  I believe you can buy small orders from them and pick it up in Canby (Will Call).  They also deliver in the Northwest, but delivery is a bit expensive below a certain price ($300.00?).  Here's a link:

I recommend buying what you can afford if they have it in stock.  They run out frequently.  It's a very good grade of peat moss from New Brunswick, Canada.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!