Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes

Question
leaf
leaf  
i had my nepenthes for 1 year. still not a single pitcher produced. so i decided to buy a greenhouse and put it outside. look in the picture and this is how all leaves started looking like. this is sign of what? no water or extra water? sudden change or very mich heat? what should i change for it?

thank you

Answer
Hello Yousef,

There are simply too many factors that go into pitcher formation to know what is happening to your plant without more information.

Try to find out the exact species of Nepenthes you have. That will help determine what kind of environment the plant prefers and needs.

Once you find that out, you can determine the level of temperature, humidity, light and other basic factors that will help your plant to thrive and begin pitchering.

For now, try to keep the plant around a 70 degree Fahrenheit range if possible and ensure that the humidity does not fluctuate drastically. Provide the plant with partial to indirect sun, but make sure it is getting strong light (about what a shrub would get growing under a tree). Since the plant cannot obtain insects, you can fertilize the plant with 1/4 strength general purpose orchid fertilizer mixed in water and sprayed on the leaves lightly. Do not fertilize the soil. Once you have more information on the exact Nepenthes species, you can determine what to do to simulate its environment, particularly in the area of temperature. Some Nepenthes like moderate temperatures, some like it warmer, some like a temperature variation with cold temperatures at night.

If you send a followup, you will need to send it to another expert as I will be away for a few days.

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell