Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes

QUESTION: on my last question you told me to put my nepenthes outsid in the sun and cut dead leaves till its used to the sun. so just to make sure im doing it all good i attached 2 pic how it looked like after ine day under sun. should i continue?

thank you :)

ANSWER: Hi Yousef,

Oh no.  Something must have been lost in the translation.  Full sun in your window in the house!  Nepenthes will burn outside in full sun.  It's different in a window since the glass blocks so much UV light.  I just want you to get it very close to the window indoors.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: my window dors give so much light and the plant was already close and stuck to it. would it be ok if i try to keep it outside and cut dead leaves? it might be used to sun later? cuz i tried everything not really sure why it never produces pitchets. no strong fertilizer or anything i can do?

thank u

Hi Yousef,

Right now it's going to take time.  I would keep the plant next to the window indoors, water it regularly, but don't disturb the plant otherwise.  Don't move it around, avoid misting.  Continue the fertilizer, but keep it very weak, and only fertilize once every two weeks.  With us going into summer you should see it start to pitcher.  Just don't do anything that changes the conditions of the plant since Nepenthes won't pitcher if they keep experiencing changes to their environment.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!