Carnivorous Plants/Should I top trim Capensis Broad leaf

I notice Capensis Red leaf will have new growth at the base
as to where Capensis Broad leaf will have new growth on the Stem.
Thus in a period of time it may look like a small Palm tree.

Question is... should one Top trim this plant  to keep new growth closer to the Base?

Hi Brett,

In nature Broadleaf D. capensis has something of a scrambling habit where they grow up, flop over, then root.  It's really useful when you're growing on a hillside in a spring seep.

In cultivation you can decapitate the plant below one of the new side roots that develop, pot it up giving you a new plant.  The bottom stem stump will then develop numerous new shoots.  You can also just repot the whole thing deeper in a larger pot.  Be sure to trim off any dead foliage.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!