Carnivorous Plants/Using well water

I have a laboratory demineralizer (Crystalab)with a built in TDS meter calibrated in PPM against NaCl. Unfortunately, I do not know how accurate the calibration may be.

When I tested RO water from the local dispenser, it tested out at 5 ppm. The ZeroWater water tests out about 2 ppm (after some use).

Today, on a whim, I decided to test my well water (from a very deep well). It shows a reading of just under 50 ppm.

Is there any chance that this would be OK for my plants?

I just expanded my pools and am now using close to 10 gallons per day. I bottom water with all pots in pools.

I don't know why, but RO filters waste a LOT of water. I would love to be able to use the well water - rather than buy a RO unit.

Hi Bill,

50 ppm for well water is really good.  I would say yes, you can use the well water with the following qualifiers.  Try to top-water plants frequently.  This keeps minerals from accumulating too fast in the media.  With 50 ppm you are still going to get some mineral build-up, but it will take awhile.  Watch your Venus Flytraps.  They tend to be the most sensitive.  Use RO water on them if needed.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!