Carnivorous Plants/Bromaliad Help! What can I do to help the plantlets?

Bromaliads base
Bromaliads base  

bromeliad close up
bromeliad close up  

A few years ago I got this plant from you.  The plant is now starting the next phase of the its life cycle.  The part where the main plant begins to die and sends up platelets.   I understand from the DVD on the subject this is what naturally happens with the plant. Any suggestions on to make sure the plant lets don't die? I have attached some pictures to this email. Thank you for your time.  

Hi Weylin,

Usually the pups start to form before the mother plant dies.  Your mother plant is already quite dead.  If you have any plantlets forming they must be coming up from surviving roots.  Un-pot your plant to see what is still alive.  Cut away the dead material and repot in Nepenthes mix.  Be sure it's not sitting in water.  Brocchinia will rot out (and it looks like that is what may have happened) if it's sitting in water.  If you have surviving pups they will develop.  Give them a light fertilizer weekly.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!