Carnivorous Plants/Flooding Sarracenia

Flooded Flower-boxes
Flooded Flower-boxes  

Flooded Flower-boxes 1
Flooded Flower-boxes 1  
Hi Jeff!

I have some flower-box including a water reservoir in which I grow Sarracenia´s (minor, psittacina, oreophila, alata, purpurea).

Usually I fill the box with water till it trips from the downside. The reservoir usually holds enough water so that under full sun the soil will be kept moist.

However, since this week we are expecting around 91-96 F° for several days and I am out of home for 3 days, I was thinking to block the box holes with some plugs so that the flowers-boxes would be like "flooded", you can see it on the attached pictures.

First more water is likely to be available for the plants, and I am thinking it would be totally fine for them, right? I know they should always stand in some water, when on tray, but would be such "flooding" be fine too? In natural sites it must just look like that, right?

Thanks mate and have a great day!

Hi JP,

Unfortunately, this can be a recipe for disaster in hot weather.  Carnivorous plants like their root endings in water all the time, but soaking like this in stagnant conditions in cultivation (in nature water can be this deep, but it's circulating and oxygenated) can lead to rotted rhizomes.  You may have to have someone water while you're gone.  Sorry.  :(

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!