Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes

New Tiny Pitchers
New Tiny Pitchers  

Hello! I finally have pitchers coming on my Nepenthes! It appears the older leaves w/dried up pitcher stems will no longer make pitchers. These older stems have grown long & hanging. All the pitchers are coming on the new growth sent up this spring from the center of the plant. Question: Should I let it go as it is, or cut off the older long stems? If they would put pitchers on, then great, but I'm thinking no on that. If I cut off, would these root in water? I do not want to kill the plant now after waiting so long for pitchers to return. Question: Would you please recommend a way to water this plant while we are away for vacation or weekends coming up? I can take it w/us if need-be. Thanks much! Your help is appreciated.

Hi Holly,

Cutting off the non-productive stems will not harm your plant in any way.  I might actually make the main growing stems more productive.  This variety roots easily in water.

For vacation watering there's no easy solution.  Having someone come over to water is the simplest solution.  Automated watering devices exist, but be willing to fork over $$$$$.  Here's an example:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!