Carnivorous Plants/plants leaf tips black before opening

QUESTION: Hi I got the sundew I got forkleaf and cape sundew the leafs on the forkleaf are turning black before they open I use 40 watt t12 bulbs and temp is between 70 and 80 my water source is distilled spring water lights are 12 Inches away dirt came from Sarracenia northwest and is the sundew mix light are on between 8 and 12 hrs

ANSWER: Hi Xavier,

Thanks for the additional information.  Your light is too far away from your plants.  With standard T-12 tubes the lights should be about 2-3 inches from the plants.  I noticed the pale color of your Cape Sundew, but I wanted to be sure how far away your light actually was before I told you to get the light closer.  Also, be sure the water you're using is steam distilled, and not spring water.  They are two different things, and "Spring Water" will certainly have minerals in it.  If it does it will be harmful to your plants long-term.  If your water brand you're buying is oddly both, be sure it doesn't say on the label somewhere, "Sweetened with added Minerals".  I've never understood why companies do this.  It doesn't make the water taste better, and it makes it hard water.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Hi problem with bringing lights closer is would that raise the temperature were the plants are my home is relly hot right now it's 89.6f I moved the lights up because I thought it was to hot also the water is steam distilled but if u think the heat not a problem I will move lights closer also is every 3 days a good watering time

Hi Xavier,

See if you can find a way to get the room you have them in cooler at night.  The nighttime cool-down is more important than the daytime temperature.  The D. binata doesn't mind it hot, but the Cape is a bit more sensitive, but in any case, your plants are not getting enough light.  Lack of adequate light is the #1 problem cp growers have, especially new growers not truly understanding how important this is.

Your sundews should be sitting in a shallow tray of water at all times.  Their soil should never be dry.  There's no way to say that "every two days, "every three days", etc... is the correct amount.  You have to watch your plants and see how much they use.  It varies with environmental conditions.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!