Carnivorous Plants/reverse osmosis system

I now have three boxes full of plants and by the end of summer may have a fourth.   It looks like we may be in for a dry summer (almost no rain here for the last couple of weeks).  I have seen a couple of under the counter and small counter top reverse osmosis units for sale on line.  Are there any tips you can give for picking the right one.  I think buying gallon jugs will get expensive.

Hi Patricia,

Buying an RO system is going to be like buying a greenhouse.  Get the biggest system you can comfortably afford (most water production). If you're going to install an under counter unit you'll find that once you start drinking the water it'll be hard to drink your tap water in addition to having it for your plants.  I can't make good specific brand recommendations since there are so many different units out there.  You just have to evaluate what it looks like will work for you.  Be sure replacement membranes and filters are readily available for your particular unit.  We use units made by Hydrologic because of their high volume production.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!