Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia soil compression

I've been repotting my sarrecenia with one part peat to one part perlite soil. Whenever it rains or water is poured on top of the repotted plants the soil separates and washes away. I've tried compressing the soil and packing it more tightly into the pots and squishing excess water out of the soil but it doesn't seem to help much. Do you have any suggestions on how to remedy the soil washing away?

Hi Adam,

Good to hear from you.  There's a simple solution for this.  When you pot your plants up leave about 1/2" of space to the top of the pot.  Top dress the pot with pea gravel to the point where you can't see any soil.  This stops the splash erosion.  Also, don't let plants sit too deep in water trays.  This also seems to make the soil washing away problem worse.  My preferred pea gravel to use of rainbow rock.  You can get bags of it from Oregon Decorative Rock and other landscape suppliers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!