Carnivorous Plants/Southern Purple Pitcher Plant

Hi! I have been gardening for a couple years now...still a newbie. But I've learned so much and have been successful with seeds just this year. So, I got crazy and bought some Venosa Burkii seeds. I had read that they were one of the easier of the carnivorous plants to grow from seed, so I ordered a pack of 10 seeds. The directions that came with them said to do cold stratification 4-5 days and then to plant. So This is where I'm at: I put my seeds in a glass with distilled water, strain them every 24 hours and replace with clean distilled water. I'm on my 3rd day of this currently and will do so another 2 days. I have perilite and peat moss ready, and small planting cups with drainage holes. I plan on doing a 1:1 ratio of perlite/peat moss, rinse the mixture thoroughly before planting to make sure there aren't any contaminents and then sprinkle a seed or two in each cup, watering daily with only distilled water and to put in a sunny spot in my house with a plastic cover to help keep the humidity. This is all what I have gathered from random research, but haven't found anything that has given me direct instructions for my specific species of plant. Please help! I need your expert advise!!

Hi Cherish,

Sarracenia purpurea venosa var. burkii was recently given a species status, and is now known to be S. rosea.  It comes from the Florida panhandle, a zone 8 climate, meaning that the seeds would need a normal stratification period common to all Sarracenia.  That's going to mean a minimum of four weeks of cold, damp to trigger the seeds to germinate.  The four to five days instructions you received may have been a typo or misread, and is actually 4-5 weeks.  Here's our directions on doing that:

Here's another reputable set of directions:  John does his homework, and I've gotten some good tips from his information.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!