Carnivorous Plants/staghorn sundew

QUESTION: Back in March I received a Staghorn Sundew from you.  It died down within a day or so and you thought it had gone dormant during shipping. You sent another one and it did the same thing.  I have been basically treating them as if they didn't go dormant ( keeping them unDer light and in water).  So far there is no sign of life.  When should I see growth if they are going to wake up?

ANSWER: Hi Patricia,

It sounds like they are going into dormancy when you get them.  I would just put them outside with your Sarracenia and let them be.  You should see them re-emerge sometime this summer.  They have very thick roots they die down to as opposed to North American sundews that form hibernacula.  They are zone 8 in their hardiness, so they would need to be indoors in winter in Kentucky.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Thanks I have moved them outside.  If they come out this summer and I bring them in when it gets cold is there anything in particular that I need to do? Do they need to go dormant again?

Hi Patricia,

Just move them to a sunny windowsill in winter.  Normally they will have about a two month dormancy, then re-emerge.  Ours may be a bit messed up in their season since we had them under lights mid-winter.  They will re-adjust with consistent seasonal cues.  D. binata dichotoma tends to be a very tough plant and very adaptable.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!