Carnivorous Plants/T5 lighting question

Hi,  I am currently growing (and I ordered a few more) some Drosera that I am growing under a single 24W T5 HO bulb.  I have Drosera spatulata,
Drosera multifida extrema in their original 3" pots.  I used to have Drosera scorpiodes, but it died.  I have not repotted these two yet but am going to and I just purchased Drosera capensis, Red Leaf, Drosera graomogolensis, and Drosera madagascarensis 1 each.  I currently have the light on for about 12hrs/day and approximately 6" from the tops.
My question is this;  Is my single T5 bulb sufficient for my existing plants and for the new arrivals?  The spatulata and multifida seem to be doing fine.

Hi Alex,

If the fixture has a good reflector it could work for a small number of plants.  A two-tube unit is going to be much better since you'll get much wider light distribution.  I would say that with the number of plants you're going to have it's going to be a stretch to get them the light they need unless you mount the light in a windowsill so you are getting natural light combined with the T5 tube.  Also, the appearance of your current plants is going to be the best indicator of whether or not it's adequate.  

Long-term the single tube unit will not be adequate for the D. multifida simply because of how big that plant gets.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!