Carnivorous Plants/Yellowing leaf margins on N. x Tiveyi

I got a N. x Tiveyi from you about two weeks ago. Overall it looks good, and has unrolled a new leaf in the time I've had it and is working on a new one. I have noticed that all but the 2 most recent leaves have yellow leaf margins. Is this a sign of stress?

I grow my plants in a "grow-tent" under lights (4 x T5 fluorescenct High Output). Day temps are in the low 80s, nights are 65-70. I have been very careful not to overwater, since veitchii hybrids in my experience do not like excess moisture or "wet feet".

Hi Shawn,

Your growing conditions sound very good.  You might try just moving the plant a little further from the lights if they are pretty close.  T-5's are pretty warm and bright, and that could easily cause the yellowing.  If new growth is looking normal, however, it may not be of much concern.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!