Carnivorous Plants/D. madagascariensis cont.

Growing Conditions
Growing Conditions  

Hi Jeff,
For some reason I couldn't leave this reply attached to my last question. To answer your follow-up question:

-The plant is located outside in a tray with an assortment of venus flytraps, sarracenia, utricularia (subulata), sphagnum moss, drosera (intermedia, binata, and capensis), and bog companions (polygala lutea).
-Temperatures are usually around 76 degrees fahrenheit, but can dip to the mid-sixties or rise into the low/high eighties on occasion during the growing season.
-Water is collected from an exposed children's swimming pool that collects rain. TDS of fresh rainwater is 3. Another pool sitting directly under a water spout has a TDS reading of 18.  

Thanks for your help!

Hi Eric,

It looks like your growing conditions are pristine.  We've only been growing D. madagascariensis for about a year, so some of the idiosyncrasies of this plant are still new to us.  I did a little research and found that although this is usually a super easy sundew to grow, they will sometimes die back from disturbance or unfavorable conditions.  They usually spring back from roots, and one source made specific mention of not throwing out a pot that looks dead, because usually they are not.  In your situation the only thing I can think is that you're a bit cooler than us here in Oregon right now, and the plant was in the 90's every day in the greenhouse.  The cooling may have an effect on it.

Bottom line, just give it some time to see how it does, and if you get new shoots developing.  Since this plant is native to Central Africa and Madagascar, it does like it warm, so moving it to a warmer location could be of benefit.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!