Carnivorous Plants/Darlingtonia stolens

Hi there I got a mature Darlingtonia around May 1st & put it outside in the mix you preferred & a litter pan with a Rez underneath, catching water from the drip system,  the plant is growing great,  I just like to know when do Darlingtonia put out stolens that pop up somewhere in the pot ? & will the mother plant die after the stolen takes hold ? & would it be better if I leave the stolen attached or cut the cord / stolen

Hi Michael,

Once your plant has established it's root system it could start sending out stolons anytime.  The amount of food it's getting will be part of what determines that too.  Mother plants don't die when sending out stolons unless something is wrong with growing conditions, or disease is present.  In nature you find them growing in massive clumps.  

There's no need to cut the stolons unless you are wanting to get new plants.  In that case wait until it appears that the new plantlet has a good roots system of it's own, then cut the cord.  Give the new plant a season, then you can transfer it to another pot or growing container.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!