Carnivorous Plants/Fertilizers.

Hi Jacob . I have been reading The savage Garden love it,anyhow in the book it talks about Maxsea 16-16-16 diluted to have the recommended dose,to help a little bit on the growing of younger carnivorous  plants,it stated that it helps with the longer going periods of a younger plants that might take 5 years to mature,to mature a little faster than normal like kinda half the time it takes to grow to adults.just would like to know it if that's true , and your personal opinion about it .
        Thank you love you guys.  Robert Galvin.

Hi Robert,

The Savage Garden is still the best single book out there on carnivorous plant cultivation, and I still refer back to Peter's information from time to time.  Areas that we might have of disagreement are going to be minor, and this topic isn't one of them.

Fertilization definitely helps young plants.  Sarracenia benefit the most with flytraps a close second.  The saying weekly and weakly is super true.  You don't want to overdue it or you'll kill plants.  It's one of the reasons we don't recommend fertilizer to new growers until they understand the basics of how these plants grow.  It's just too easy to mess it up, and some plants just grow at their own sweet pace such as Cephalotus.

As far as types of fertilizer, there's nothing magical about Maxsea.  It's a basic chemical N-P-K fertilizer with seaweed powder added for trace minerals.  We've used it, but not found it superior to good quality orchid fertilizers.  It is helpful to find a fertilizer without urea so that it rinses out of media quickly.  Maxea is fine, but so are many other fertilizers.  Just don't use too much!

Here's another great option for Sarracenia seedlings:  We've done this and it works well.  Some species and hybrids respond faster than others, however.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!