Carnivorous Plants/heliamphora and other nepenthes growing conditions.

My green house gets around 10 hours of sun in the summer and I water them when the topsoil feels dry but not completely dry. On hot days, my greenhouse can get up to 90 plus degrees though  I have two fans facing opposite directions which provide nice ventilation and cooling. My water has less than 50ppm and I top water until the water comes out of the bottom of the pot. For my heliamphora, I put new water in the pitchers frequently. I hope these growing conditions help you to answer my other questions. I also just bought these plants this year. This is my second time growing heliamphora.

Hi Jarred,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  The holiday weekend and heat have left us very busy.

My recommendation is to get some shade cloth on your greenhouse.  If you can get around a 30% cloth that is perfect.  This blocks much of the sun's heat.  Also, during this hot weather, top-water the plants daily always making sure to put water in pitchers.  The flush of cool water through the soil really helps.  Also make sure your greenhouse is open enough at night so that the plants experience a good cool-down.  Let us know how it goes.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!