Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthe

Picture of burnt pitcher
Picture of burnt pitch  
I have an asian pitcher that had been doing fine on my patio. But yesterday it was a little bit colder with a lot of of wind. I also put it in sunlight longer then I usually do I move it just outside of my patio for more sun shine everyday for a few hours. The day after the tops of my some of the pitchers turned brown. I am wondering if I burnt them in the sun or it was the weather or something something else altogether. Any help would be great.

Hi Becky,

What you have is just an older pitcher dying off; nothing unusual there.  However, you're doing what I call, "Move it here, Move it there" Syndrome.  All plants hate that.  What happens is you keep changing the micro-climate, and they never have a chance to adapt to the local light, humidity, etc...  This is one of the best ways I know to make a Nepenthes stop producing pitchers.

What you want to do is find a spot that seems suitable, and leave the plant there.  If you're going to leave it out for the summer, leave it out.  It should be a spot with partial sun, best it it's East facing for morning sun, but not the hot afternoon sun.  It's fine to stay out until the temperatures start dropping below 50, then it would need to come in.  Placing it under the partial shade of a tree also works very well.

If you don't have that kind of location, find a sunny window in the house and park it there.  Indoors you want a very sunny window since glass blocks most UV light.  You will need a location like this for winter anyway.

Here's more information an growing Southeast Asian Pitcher Plants:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!