Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes miranda

Question
Hi! I just bought a nnepenthes miranda at a local carnivorous plant shop. I just wanted to know if i can keep this plant in low humidity. And I wanted to know how to care for them too.Thank You

Answer
Hello Joseph,

Your best bet to providing the best care for any plant is to research before you buy. That way you will not have a mad scramble trying to match environments for a plant your not sure of. This kind of forum is a bit limited in the capacity of telling someone the entirety of the ins and outs of plant care, but I can provide you with the basic idea.

Many species of Nepenthes, miranda included, can adapt to low humidity, but if you hange their humidity level too drastically, it can harm the plant and stop it from pitchering for months.

Water the plant with distilled, rain, or reverse osmosis water.

Ensure the plant's soil is always moist and never let excess water build up in a tray under the plant for days at a time. They are susceptible to root rot in standing water.

Provide plenty of light for the plant, just short of full sunlight. Nepenthes grow under large trees and in slightly shaded areas. They require a lot of light, but direct sun can burn their leaves.

Make sure the plant is in unfertilized Nepenthes mix. This is generally an airy mix of granulated sphagnum moss, long fiber sphagnum moss, bark chips and such. It is a neutral mix with no fertilizers in it. Fertilizers in the soil can harm and kill most species of carnivorous plant quite quickly.

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell