Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes plant not pitchering

Hey im wondering if you can help me. I have myself what i beleive to be a small nepenthes alata pitcher plant that i brought from my local garden centre. I had it on a west facing window ledge and found that the leaves where starting to dry out and turn brown so i moved it to a east facing window ledge instead. I water it with rain water and spray it twice a day to keep the humidity levels high. The plant is placed in a small greenhouse on the window ledge and the humidity level sits between 65% to 80%. The problem im having is that its not producing any pitchers but is producing new bright green leaves, is there anything im not doing or doing wrong?

Nicholas from united kingdom - london

Hi Nicholas,

Since you have this indoors (I think?  You mentioned greenhouse so I'm a bit confused.) or behind glass, the plant will require a few hours of direct sun to produce pitchers.  Most likely the nursery that had this plant was keeping it very shady, so it wasn't used to brighter light yet.  Since you are in the U.K., and having a Maritime climate similar to us here in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. I'm assuming morning are cloudy often.  Because of that, the Western Exposure is best.  You may see some leaf burn at first, but when new growth starts it will be darker, and most likely you will start seeing pitchers too.  Just cut off any older leaves that burn.

Once you move it to the brighter location, leave it there.  Moving Nepenthes around too much is a leading reason for lack of pitcher production.  The constant disturbance inhibits pitcher production.

Here's more information:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!