Carnivorous Plants/Propagating North American carnivorous plant seeds

Hi, I was wondering how to grow cold hardy carnivorous plants from seed. Several sundews and sarracenia have flowered earlier this year and are producing seeds. I bought several seed trays and stocked up on peat moss and perlite, but I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do beside letting have a cold period.

For Sarracenia seed, you'll need to ensure that they have a cool, damp stratification period of 4 weeks.  The easiest way to achieve that is to put the seeds on a damp paper towel and put them in a plastic baggie and then in the fridge for 4 weeks.

As for sundews, it really depends on the species, as some species do not require a stratification period, while some others do.  If it is a temperate species, such as D. rotundifolia or D. anglica, then they will need a stratification period just like the Sarracenia seed.  But if it is a tropical or sub-tropical species like Drosera capensis, the seed can just be sown as soon as it sets.

Carnivorous Plants

We have been growing thousands of Venus flytraps and carnivorous plants for many years and can help provide any sort of care guidance for Venus flytraps and many other carnivorous plants.

Matt and Leah Miller are the owners and growers of Matt has been growing Venus flytraps since his childhood and started the informational website in 2008 and opened the FlytrapStore in 2009.

FlytrapCare forums International Carnivorous Plant Society.

Both Matt and Leah have graduate level degrees and have had a life-long passion for growing plants.