Carnivorous Plants/Just received plant that might be infected with bugs

I just received a drosera capensis from Sarracenia Northwest. The plant seems to be in good shape ,but might have an insect problem. After placing it into a tray of distilled water, I noticed lots of very small insects moving around in the tray of water. I rinsed out the tray and put new water in and I can still see small insects moving around. How can this problem be solved?

Hi Emil,

This is not a problem.  The most common pests that Drosera capensis are prone to is Aphids and an occasional cutworm.  These are found on the plant or at the stem base and cause immediate damage.  You would know it quick if the plant had one of these nasties.  What you are most likely seeing in the water is Daphnia.  Peat moss carries the eggs of them and they hatch out when the peat is kept very wet.  Their common name is water fleas and they feed on algae and bacteria.  They're beneficial, and the most common food of Utricularia.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!