Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia Root Bound

Hi Jeff, I'm trying to maximize space in my greenhouse.  I bought two 4x2 hydroponic flood trays and some rectangular pots that I put a few plants each in.  My question is about the actual need for larger pots for Sarracenia.  I'm thinking if I went back to 6-8 inch pots I'd have more room available in the trays (MORE PLANTS) than the way it is now. So, have  you found that Sarracenia can be in tight pots and still continue to grow well?

Hi Jason,

You've seen our stuff at the nursery.  They definitely will keep growing in smaller pots, even breaking pots apart.  You just have to re-pot/divide more frequently.  You just won't get quite as big a plants, but managing space is always part of the game.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!