Carnivorous Plants/Watering Cephalotus

Question
Cephalotus follicularis
Cephalotus folliculari  
Dear Jeff,

hope all is going well on your side!

Now that I managed to keep my Drosophyllum (about 2 inches long now), I wanted to optimize my growing skills on my Cephalotus...

I grow it in a big terracotta pot in a peat-sand mix, but more sandy then peaty...

As can be seen on the attached picture, the "area" with the plant is more elevated, it is actually the size of the old pot (pretty grown with life sphagnum top dressing). Although the "outer circle" of the pot is also a peat-sand mix, I top dressed it a bit with fine sand, just for decoration and since long dried sphagnum might have saved too much water, so my guess...

So how do you think? Or should I add more peat instead?

And about the watering... The plant is prone to root rot as you know. I water from top, never from tray, just around a big cup of water once media is dry. Water never runs off, It must be absorbed immediately by the soil I guess.

So should I water from top until the water runs out from the downside and discard the water in the tray, or rather water from tray till the tray is dried empty? I am thinking that if I water from the tray, the soil will be totally moist before the water remains in the tray, and it might get dangerous, right?

My message is long, but although I am on a good way, I think this Cepha. could grow even better... I keep it outdoor on a south-side with few hours of full sun per day (morning sun till noon) and shade in afternoon.

Cheers and regards to Jacob!

JP

Answer
Hi JP,

This looks fine.  The only thing I would have done, for future reference, is remove more of the old moss and old soil before transplanting.  The major reason for this is that it looks like your old soil was of a different composition and you want the plant to adapt it roots to the new conditions.  Don't do another transplant, however.  Cephalotus doesn't do well with frequent disturbance, so just something to know for future Ceph. transplants.

Your watering sounds fine.  Just like with Drosophyllum a little water in the tray, especially during hot weather is no concern.  Just don't be treating it like a Sarracenia.  It's more important in winter when plants are not using as much water to keep them a little drier.  In summer they are transpirating lots of water, so some water in a tray isn't a problem.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest
http://www.growcarnivorousplants.com

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest