Carnivorous Plants/When do I cut the seeds from my Sundews?

Jacob or Jeff,  A lot of my different Sundews have finished blooming and the seeds are turning brown or black in color.  Some others are still making new blooms on flower stocks that seem to have dried blooms that seem to be seeds like on the other flower stocks. When do I cut the seed stock from the plant.  Also when is the best time to plant new seeds... do they need to be dried before planting.  Thank you for any information... these are my first plants that have produced any seeds, as you can tell........ I am new to these plants and really enjoy them and your service and help very much.  Ramon

Hi Ramon,

You didn't say what species you have, but the procedures are similar.  Seed pods are ready to harvest when they are dry and black/brown.  If you look carefully, you'll see that the tops crack open slightly.  Cut the stalk below the seed pods, then take a full size white piece of paper, and tap the stalk on the paper.  You should see seeds falling out.

If the plant is a tropical sundew like D. capensis, you can just sprinkle the seeds on the surface of some wet cp media, and they will germinate in about 3 weeks.

If the seeds are from a North American sundew like D. filiformis or D. intermedia, sometime this fall sow them on the surface of regular cp media and leave the pots outdoors for the winter.  They'll germinate in the spring.  Here's more detailed directions:  and

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!