Carnivorous Plants/Dying Nepenthes

Browning Nepenthes
Browning Nepenthes  
Growing area
Growing area  
QUESTION: I meant to ask you about this before, but I think I waited too long...
Any idea what happened I have been watering fairly regularly, but one time the water stayed, and I noticed the plant was turning a dry brown.

ANSWER: Hi John,

If the plant has been sitting in a water tray similar to the way you might do for sundews and Sarracenia, your Nepenthes has probably developed root rot.  Once you see leaf wilting like this, it's usually too late. :(

For the future, I notice you had rocks in the tray of the Nepenthes.  If you were trying to do a pebble tray to raise ambient humidity, that's not really what's meant by that.  Here's an example of a pebble tray that orchid growers might use:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: I've read lots of your info on humidity, and the tray was only for catching any extra water that didn't drain while I water it.  The plant seemed kind of...dry, even though the soil was lightly moist.
What Nepenthes would be a good replacement that you may have in September?

Hi John,

I would try a N. x deRoose's alata.  They are very adaptable to most homes.  

A suggestion on your growing area.  See if you can get a stand for them that sits lower in that window.  It looks like the plants are pretty high up and not getting as much sun as they could.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!