Carnivorous Plants/Eggs laid in S. psittacina?

Outside view of 3 pitchers
Outside view of 3 pitc  

Split open
Split open  

I recently planted a psittacina in my bog. It was doing fine for a couple weeks but recently noticed traps starting to die...but didn't look like traps normally do when they die.

I cut one off and the trap disintegrated in my hands. It was very delicate! Out of it came pouring what looked like tiny little balls of sawdust. Very bizarre. I would compare to the contents of a spider's egg sack after all the spiders have hatched...but also some unhatched eggs still in there too.

What is this that is using my pitchers as a brooding chamber??? Not the holes at the top of the pitcher where the suspect ate its way in or out.

Thank you for your ever appreciated insight and wisdom.

PS. I watched your video on pest control posted in response to a question on earwigs eating flytraps and treated my all my plants with the rose and flower insecticide last night. Something is always eating the top off my new pitchers or chewing them in half!

Hi Trace,

It looks like you had some kind of moth lay an egg in the pitchers.  The little sawdust balls are the castings from the caterpillar.  The papery texture was from the caterpillar eating the lining of the pitcher leaf.  When it was old enough it ate it's way out.  This is relatively common, and even more common if you live near any Sarracenia habitat.  Just one of the natural pests they have.  A systemic like the Bayer Rose and Flower would prevent this if it becomes a problem as would B.T. spray if you want an organic.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!