Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes burkei leaf problem.

Leaf problem
Leaf problem  

Leaf curl
Leaf curl  
I have the plant on the east side window it gets direct sunlight all morning. I use the train method but I do not fill it up a lot. Why do the leaves look like this? What's happening? Its a nepenthes burkei

Hi Tyler,

Sorry for taking a bit to get back to you.  It's been a busy week.

This looks like some classic symptoms of root rot.  Unlike many other types of carnivorous plants such as Sarracenia and sundews, Nepenthes are not bog plants.  They like their soil open and moist, but not waterlogged.  If your plant was sitting in water, this will happen.  Also, I can't tell what your soil media is, but most Nepenthes do best in sphagnum moss mixes since they drain quickly.  Heavy soils such as the peat mixes used for bog species also cause problems with Nepenthes.

Right now all you can do is try repotting into long-fiber sphagnum moss and hope for the best.  Since you have this much wilting going on, your roots may be gone already.  Only top-water the plant, and don't allow it to sit in water.  The media should feel moist, but not waterlogged.  Here's our care directions for Nepenthes:

You could also try taking a cutting from the top part of your plant that is still alive.  We have step by step directions on our volume #3 DVD on how to do that ( as do books like The Savage Garden.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!