Carnivorous Plants/Water

I have run out of saved rain water for my 3 trays of carn. plants. I go through a lot of water. You have told me Portland tap water is okay,but Vancouver Wa. tap water is not. Do you have any idea if Columbia river water would be safe? Or if tap water from Ocean Park Wa.would be safe?Loomis lake or Black lake from long beach pennisula?

Hi Ross,

Thanks for doing this.  Getting growing questions via text doesn't work real well.

Unfortunately, since the Columbia is the drainage for so many river, the water is going to have a very high mineral content.  Alien freshwater clams and mussels do very well in the Columbia because of this.  It would probably kill carnivorous plants quite quickly.

Distilled water is fine.  Water from the natural lakes on the Long Beach peninsula is probably going to be fine.  Many of those coastal lakes have sphagnum hummocks and little bogs on their edges.  I wouldn't be surprised if you looked really hard you might find some Drosera rotundifolia around one.  The water may appear dark (i.e. "Black Lake"), but that is going to be from tannins which make the water acid; perfect for cp.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!