Carnivorous Plants/Water in tray

Hi Jeff,

I heard that there are no dumb questions ;-) So IŽll ask...

Does it make any difference to the soil of a potted plant if the pot is constantly in a tray of water (that does not dries out) that is only 1 cm deep or 3 cm deep?

If the pot constantly sits in a deeper amount of water, will the water reach out more of the soil, or the deepness does not matter?

I am asking, because I was wondering if I can "control" the wetness of the soil by putting plants in different trays. I would go for smaller (in diameter) and lower trays with Flytraps and Pinguicula and bigger ones for Sundews/Sarracenia. Still, all have in common they would be always full of water, since IŽll use the drip system.

Thanks a tons!

Hi JP,

If I understand your question correctly, the water depth does make a difference.  We vary the water depth all the time for plants based on the type of plants.  A good example is in one of our greenhouses we keep just a little water in trays of Mexican butterworts.  They don't like to be waterlogged.  Sundews, however, we fill the trays.  They love being wet (most of them anyway; always exceptions), and many are found in nature right at the water level.  For hardy varieties D. intermedia is a good example of this.

So, having various depths of trays is a great idea.  Also, if your drippers come on frequently enough, you might not need water trays at all.  Darlingtonia loves being watered this way.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!