Carnivorous Plants/bog garden

Can I grow a bug pitcher plant and a venus fly trap in a 10 inch by 4 inch container with 4 inch high walls with live sphaghnum moss on the bottom and in water.

Hi Jacky,

Yes and no.  It depends on the current size of your pitcher plant.  (I'm assuming your pitcher plant is a Sarracenia of sorts.)  The width of the container is fine, but the depth may or may not be sufficient, depending on the size of your plant.  Over the course of a year or two, the Sarracenia may need more depth for optimal root development.  

The container should also have drainage holes.  You didn't mention if there were holes on the bottom.  If not, the container would be inappropriate.  

I also recommend against using live sphagnum moss if growing flytraps.  The moss can quickly outgrow the flytrap and smother them.  Use a mix of equal parts peat moss and perlite.  You can use live sphagnum as a top dressing to help reduce soil erosion, but you'll need to trim the moss periodically to make sure it doesn't smother the flytrap.  Otherwise, the moss is unnecessary.

For more information about growing cold hardy plants, read our care guide on our main website.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!