Carnivorous Plants/What's eating my sarracenia plant?

Part of unopened sarracenia eaten
Part of unopened sarra  
My sarracenia Judith Hindle was doing well over the summer, sending out new shoots and getting filled to the brim with insects. It gets full sun and plenty of water and bugs. When a few started splitting, I assumed it was because they got too full or a few wasps managed to chew their way out. But lately it seems that new shoots are ripped apart as well, even before they've opened, so this can't be the case. I've attached a picture of today's latest damage. Around it you can see how much of the damaged ones I've had to trim off. So upset because they were all beautiful!

Do you have any idea what may be eating it, or what I can do?

Hi Lynn,

This looks like bird damage, especially since you've found older pitchers damaged.  The damage looks more like a tear than the chewing of something like a caterpillar.  Many Jay species will do this along with other insect eating birds like Robins if they discover the easy meal available in Sarracenia pitchers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!