Carnivorous Plants/Pinguicula moctezumae

Been growing P. moctezumae for some time now, but it never seems to produce much of a root system.  It isn't suffering too much I don't think, but it isn't thriving either.  I can pick the rosette up right off the surface of the pot.  I tried using grittier potting mix without any peat, but this didn't seem to work much either.  It is grown with good light in a greenhouse, pot not sitting in water, western Oregon.  Should I try a potting mix even more open, say with more perlite/ pumice?

Hi Deven,

Try this.  Mix your soil at two parts sand, one part peat, and one part perlite.  Do this dry, then to that add one tablespoon of dolomite lime to each cup of soil.  Once you've mixed it wet it down thoroughly and re-pot your plant into that mix.  Since we started adding the lime to our butterwort mix we've seen a dramatic improvement in the health of many species.  Be sure to use powdered lime as opposed to the prilled types.  Everything else you're doing sounds good.  If you're not doing a light foliar fertilization, that helps too.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!