Carnivorous Plants/is it algae or moss reviving?

green algae or green moss
green algae or green m  

green algae or live moss?
green algae or live mo  
i noticed my brown moss started getting green in all my pots of cps, is it algae growth or moss is reviving? if it is a algae growth will it harm my plants?

Hi Soumya,

It does look like you're getting some algae growth.  Short term it is of no harm, but if you get a heavy build-up it can be a problem. The algae isn't toxic, but it can smother seedlings.

Here's some things you can do.  First make sure you're using mineral-free water.  This would be either rainwater or distilled water.  Top-water your plants frequently.  If you're only tray watering this provides a good environment for algae to grow.  Top-watering helps to wash away algal spores.  Scrape some of it off.  If things get too bad it will be time to transplant your plants.  

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!