Carnivorous Plants/can you help me identify my pitcher plant please

main plant
main plant  

the pitcher
the pitcher  
I just got this pitcher plant yesterday and i dont know what species it is. Can you help me identify it so i can give it better care? I live in panama city, panama, where it is very warm.

Hi Robyn,

This is a type of Nepenthes, a tropical Southeast Asian Pitcher Plant.  Without knowing more about where the plant came from or having an ID tag there's no way to know the species or if it's a hybrid.  Most likely it is a hybrid if it's something that was being sold as a random plant.  You need mature pitchers on a plant to determine identity, and even then, an accurate ID can be difficult to impossible since there are thousands of Nepenthes hybrids in culture, and they look very similar.

In any case care for it will be basic Nepenthes care, and you can find that information here:  Since you're in Panama City, you can keep your plant outside too.  Just find a location for it with partial sun, keep the soil moist but not wet.  Also, once you decide on a location, try not to move the plant around much.  Nepenthes don't like a lot of change to their environment, so lots of moving will cause them to not pitcher.  The one exception is if you every have a rare frost, move it inside then.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!