Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes boschiana gunung sakumpang sulking

Nepenthes boschiana gunung sakumpang
Nepenthes boschiana gu  
QUESTION: I got this plant in September and it was not looking as good as I would have wished. I put it in the window with my other Nepenthes (see pic) in a corner window, hanging with a Southern exposure as well as a Western. It just is not doing as well as the others. They all get rainwater, no fertilizers and all are in their original containers. This one does tend to stay a bit more moist than the others. Pitchers die before they even begin to develop and the leaves as you can see are very yellow. My humidity is generally between 60-70%. Perhaps it is a little too chilly in Southwestern Oregon for this species? Thanks!

ANSWER: Hi Maire,

Sorry for taking awhile to get back to you.  This is been a really busy week.

What it looks like is that your plant is experiencing some root rot.  Most likely the media is staying too wet.  What you want to do is add a bunch more perlite to the sphagnum moss.  You'll need to take the plant out of the pot, mix in the perlite to the media, then replant.  

After that, keep the soil moist but not wet.  Get in the habit of feeling the soil.  Wait until the moss starts to feel a little dry before watering.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not uncommon for a plant to already be too far gone once the leaf decline begins.  When you take the plant out of the pot you'll get an idea how bad it is by the condition of the roots.  If it looks like it still has some good roots, you'll just have to give it time.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Bad news Jeff, but thank you !  If the roots are gone, do you think it would be possible to take a cutting? I just HATE to lose a plant!  This really shows the importance of the right soil mix!

Hi Maire,

You can.  You'll need to keep the cutting in high humidity and bright light, but no direct sun.  It may be a bit difficult if the plant has little stem.  Sometimes the root rot goes up the cambium in the stem.  That's partly why you see the brown/yellow streaks in the leaves.  We have full details on taking cuttings in our volume #3 DVD.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!