Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes "lid" shrivelling up

Hi guys, from Canada again.
I have two species of Nepenthes and their both doing quite well. I have 3 pitchers on said plant and the largest pitcher's lid just shriveled  up in a matter of 3 days. The pitcher itself still looks great! Secretions are still present and coloration has not changed.
These are are young plants, that I obtained last August but at that time had no pitchers at all,.they were rescued from our local hardware store.
I believe they could be of Sanguinia family.

Could water be the problem? I use distilled.
Lighting? Maybe two weeks ago changed from halogen light to fluorescent bulb.
Hope you can shed some light, no pun intended.

Hi Jim,

Anytime Nepenthes experience some kind of a change they tend to drop pitchers.  This can include transplanting, being moved around, being misted frequently, or switching the kind of lighting they have.  It's also very normal for Nepenthes to drop pitchers in winter from low light and cool temperatures.  If your plants are Nepenthes sanguinea, they often drop pitchers in winter. Unless you're doing something radically different with your watering it's unlikely that is why they lost pitchers.

Once day length begins to significantly increase in March, and we see a little more sun, you should see pitcher production commence again.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!