Carnivorous Plants/Repotting frequency

Hi Jeff,

I wish you a happy new year!

Lastly you mentioned that Flytraps benefit the most from annual repotting. I am going to repot most of my plants this month, while they are all still full dormant, i think it just fits!

Generally spoken, does a annual repotting, independently from the container size, makes any sense? Will CP benefit definitely, or they would not necessarily for bigger containers? And after washing out the old soil, does it make sense to merge the roots 5 minutes in "superthrive", or not needed?

Thanks for your comments!

I am really looking forward for a "reloaded" version of you carnivorous plants DVD series. I would have plenty of questions that could be addressed in a new version of the DVD. Would be great! Maybe in HD?

Hi JP,

First I want to clarify that we are talking about temperate species with regards to yearly repotting.  Some of the tropicals, particularly Nepenthes don't like frequent repotting.  Same with Cephalotus and Heliamphora.  They tend to go through quite a bit of shock when transplanted.

For the temperate species, repotting is a judgement call.  Plants go go through some shock when transplanted, so if a plant is looking good, it has plenty of room in its pot, and the soil doesn't seem like it's breaking down, letting it go another year is going to be fine.  This is especially true for plants in larger planters.  A good example of this is our big bathtub garden you may have seen on our videos.  We only change out the soil in that when the plants outgrow it.  Since it doesn't sit in water, the peat doesn't break down very fast, so it does just fine for two-three years.  Plants in small pots are different.  Yearly repotting may be very appropriate for those.  If you're starting to see heavy moss growth on pots (not sphagnum) algae, or weeds are starting to invade, definitely transplant.

Using Superthrive to minimize transplanting shock never hurts.  For some plants like Sarracenia you'll see a little better results results compared to not using it.  Plants with delicate roots like Nepenthes, I would say definitely use it!  It really helps for those.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!