Carnivorous Plants/Repotting of temperates CP

Hi Jeff,

I just want to be "updated" about YOUR best potting mix for temperate carnivorous plants. Flytrap, Sarracenia and Drosera to be precise.

Flytraps: 2 Parts Peat, 1 Part Sand
Sarracenia: 4 Parts Peat, 1 Part Sand, 2 Parts Perlite
Drosera: 2 Parts Peat, 1 Part Sand (or 3:1)

I have some pots with Flytraps + Sarracenia grown together. What should I do? 2 Peat, 1 Sand, 1 Perlite a good compromise?

One more thing, I have some overgrown live spaghnum on top of the pots, should I re-use it as top dressing? Mix it in the sustrate?

Thanks, I highly appreciate your help via AllExperts, I owe you some more Belgian chocolate ;-)

Hi JP,

Those mixes are just fine.  Often when you see different proportions from different growers it's because they've found something that works well for them in their particular growing conditions.  You could put any of those plants in any of those mixes and they would do fine.  Many people avoid perlite just because it's messy and floats.  Sand has the disadvantage of being very heavy if you're doing larger pots.  Venus flytraps like sand since it's what most of their substrate is in nature.  If you have plants around the edge of ponds the extra weight of the sand is an advantage.  With sundews it depends on the species.  Typical bog dwellers like D. capensis and D. spatulata do fine in any of those mixes.  Tuberous sundews need it very sandy.  Plants that need cool roots like D. regia like a more open mix with long-fiber sphagnum.  Cephalotus in nature grows in a very sandy soil very similar to flytraps.  In cultivation, however, we found it does best in New Zealand sphagnum so that we can top-water the plants and avoid root-rot issues.  The bottom line is, if your potting mix is working well for you, it's fine.  If not, you may need to adjust.

The peat/sand/perlite mix would be fine for your container garden.  Depending on how large it is, I might go for just peat/perlite.  If you think you might have to move it much, the weight the sand adds will get old real fast.  Even with 50/50 peat/perlite I've found that mixed container gardens are heavy, so sand in the mix will make them real beasts!

Top-dressing pots with live sphagnum is always attractive, and it is beneficial to the plants too.  The only exception would be small sundews that could be overrun by it.

I won't complain if more chocolate arrives. :)

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!