Carnivorous Plants/yellow spots on leaves

yellow spots on leaves
yellow spots on leaves  
I was wondering if these yellow spots are indicator of a problem with my pitcher plant? I dont have much info on the care of the plant before i got it. Could it be poor watering? I noticed that the pitcher it had on it was partially brown when i got it.

Hi Robyn,

I seem to recall from the previous photo that the plant didn't look to be in the best shape.  If the previous seller didn't know much about Nepenthes, and especially if they thought the care would be similar to Sarracenia pitcher plants, they may have had it sitting in water which is a big no-no with these.  It could cause those spots.  It's almost certain they were not giving it enough light either.  

Since you've just received the plant now would be a good time to do a transplant.  Long-fiber sphagnum moss (not peat moss) makes a good planting media.  It's good to mix in some perlite with it to keep it draining well.  Potting it in a little larger pot would be good, and make sure it's a pot with drain holes.  Park the plant in a spot with partial sun (not full shade!).  If it the plant is going to live indoors, place it in a sunny window.  If it's going to live outside find a spot like under a small tree or shrub where it will get intermittent sun, or morning sun but a little shaded in the after noon.  Keep the soil moist, but never waterlogged.  After that, just give it time.  If conditions are good you should start seeing new pitchers in about a month or two.  A weak orchid fertilizer once every two weeks is good for them too.  There's information on the care sheet page about that.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!