Carnivorous Plants/alternate food for carnivorous plants

Hi, I'm Karen. I have some sundews(Spatulata)and nepenthes.What other than insects can you feed them since they are not dormant in the winter. I've heard of different things you can feed them, but I would truly value your expert opinion.

I would guess that the most commonly used food for carnivorous plants is freeze-dried blood worms.  For nepenthes, you could put them in the pitchers or drop some fertilizer pellets (Osmocote) in the pitchers as well.

Remember that feeding isn't absolutely necessary, but does help promote more vigorous growth.  For more ideas and to talk to other growers about the techniques they use, I'd recommend asking on the FlytrapCare forums:

Carnivorous Plants

We have been growing thousands of Venus flytraps and carnivorous plants for many years and can help provide any sort of care guidance for Venus flytraps and many other carnivorous plants.

Matt and Leah Miller are the owners and growers of Matt has been growing Venus flytraps since his childhood and started the informational website in 2008 and opened the FlytrapStore in 2009.

FlytrapCare forums International Carnivorous Plant Society.

Both Matt and Leah have graduate level degrees and have had a life-long passion for growing plants.