Carnivorous Plants/Density of Sarracenia

Hi Jeff!

I hope the Belgian dark chocolate arrived well at your nursery and you are enjoying the taste! (if not it should arrive very soon, it was sent out on Sat. 13th)

1.) I repotted all my plants and I was wondering how "many" sarracenia rhizomes I can plant beside each other in a bigger planter or so? I mean if the pot is deep enough for roots to grow, does it matter at all if I literally have a rhizomes carpet in the pot/container? I want to have a high density of pitchers, yet the growth should not be stunted by the lack of space...

2.) On the web I see that people are having mature and very tall pithcer plants in quite small pots...( Does it mean that bigger pots are maybe a waste of space and not needed? What would be the biggest benefit of a bigger pot if not the end size of the traps?

3.) Sarracenia should be kept "wet" at all times. During the winter/cold days without harsh sun, is it fine if the plants are nearly flooded? Water level currently is as high as the rhizomes (so same level as growing points)

4.) Would it be possible to have a video uploaded how you do the rhizomes notching or cuttings into segments? I plan to give a try to my Oreophila next year, but somehow I am afraid of doing mistakes and loosing the plant. On the web I could only find pictures, which is not so detailed than seeing a video.

Thanks Jeff for your help!

Highly appreciate it!

Have a nice weekend,

Hi JP,

Haven't seen the chocolate yet, but I'll check tomorrow.  Thank-you!

1.  You can put them close together in a pot for effect.  However, you will probably need to transplant again the next season.  They will tolerate being crowded for a time, but it does start to affect them.

2.  This is really more about what you want or what works for you in your growing situation versus what is best for the plants.  They'll grow in small pots just fine if they have lots of sun and water.  Some varieties do like their space, however.  I have a Leah Wilkerson that I didn't know got as large as it did until I put it in our bathtub garden.  S. leucophylla "Tarnok" got as pretty as I've ever seen in when it was in the same location.  In small pots it's fine, but not as spectacular as it was when it had space.  You also don't have to repot as often in larger pots.  Other species like S. alata almost seem at their best when a little root bound.  S. flava is the opposite.  So, the bottom line is do what is going to work for you.  As long as your following the basics, you'll be fine.

3.  It's best if rhizome crowns are not under water.  They don't seem to be bothered by a high water table in winter, and some like S. psittacina seem to enjoy it.

4.  We show how to do that in our volume #1 DVD, and what I use to demo it is Sarracenia oreophila.  (Oreophila is one of the easiest Sarracenia to divide.  It's doubtful you'll mess it up.)

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!