Carnivorous Plants/Leaf Cuttings of Sarracenia

I have two young sarracenia plants and want to propagate them. Do you have any advice on what age to cut them and how to cut them?

Hi Carlee,

Sarracenia need to have at least 3-4 solid growing crowns before they are big enough to divide.  Rhizome division is the best means of asexual propagation for Sarracenia.  Leaf cuttings only works for a couple species, and then not very well.  I can't really give you an age at which a plant is big enough to divide because it is very plant by plant and depends on growing conditions.  Many plants grow at very different rates.  Here's an example.  A Sarracenia flava could be ready to divide in two years. A Sarracenia psittacina would probably take around 4 years to be large enough to divide.  Here's a good article on this:

We also have a great chapter on this topic in our volume #1 DVD where we show you step by step how to divide plants and give you pointers on things to avoid and look out for.  If you are new to growing North American carnivorous plants, the video can help you avoid the pitfalls and misinformation so common to new growers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!