Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Hamata looking bad

ALL experts,

I have this N.Hamata that I got from you a few years ago ,and now it looks pretty bad is there anything I can do to see if it can pull threw?  I have it growing in a fish bowl with a CFL lights over it.  I have attached a photo to this email.  The temperature range is from 67-70 degrees. Also if this plant does not make will you guy be having any more N. Hamata?  

Hi Weylin,

Sorry for taking so long.  It's been a busy week.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only thing you can do here is say some final words.  It's already gone.

It looks like it developed root rot from a combination of being too wet, and breakdown of the soil.  It looks like it really needed to be transplanted a while ago, and you always want to be sure the pot isn't sitting in water.  Some Nepenthes you can get away with wetter roots (Nepenthes mirablis for instance), but Hamata is fussy anyway, so it a real no-no with this one.  It's also a plant that does benefit from elevated humidity.

We probably won't have anymore for awhile.  Plant like this we have to order the starts from over seas, and when we place big orders like that, losses can be high if there is any delay in shipping.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!