Carnivorous Plants/percentage peat moss for S. leucophylla

I recently purchased 2 bare root S. leucophyllae.  Your instructions on a potting mix suggested 50% peat and 50% perlite (no indication of coarseness).  Since perlite is alkaline, and these plants prefer an acidic growing medium, wouldn't a lower percentage perlite make more sense?
    I live in CT.  Thank you.

Hi Ray,

The perlite we use is Supreme Perlite out of Portland, OR is silica based, and is completely neutral in pH.  If the perlite you have access to in CT is alkaline, see if you can get a silica sand instead.  Small diameter lava rock or pumice work also.  You're just wanting to open up the peat moss some so it drains better without adding nutrients to the soil.  The 50/50 mix is a ball park figure.  Sarracenia are not real picky and many growers use different proportions depending on their growing conditions.  If your perlite is truly alkaline, and that's all you have access to for a rock ingredient, use just straight peat moss or long fiber sphagnum moss.  That's better than having soil that is alkaline.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!